Furthering the field through empirical study
At engnet-education we are dedicated to the field of Applied Linguistics and Language Teaching, as well as the Educational Technology, Computer Aided Language Learning and eLearning.
Read more about our research efforts and find links to published articles by members of engnet-education
Current research efforts:
- Teachers Attitudes to CALL – research into what motivates teachers and how they perceive CALL application. This will be presented at Both CALL 2010: Motivation and Beyond, Antwerp, Belgium August 18-20 and EUROCALL 2010, Bordeaux, France September 8-11
- Measuring student uptake of OSAC – This research follows the student uptake of an Online Self-Access Centre and looks at how teacher training initiatives affected the rate of student uptake. It will be presented at CALL 2010: Motivation and Beyond, Antwerp, Belgium August 18-20
- Prototype Theory – How learners perceive words which are semantically different from L1 and L2. This research has been placed on hold pending review.
- Cognitive Load and the Involvement Load Hypothesis – An analyses of these two theories of learning and how they might be applied practically through CALL tasks.
If you require a platform to conduct research in the field of CALL, please contact the administrator as we have a number of VLEs which can be used to conduct studies.
Research Assistance and Advice
In addition, we can offer free advice to institutions and teachers who wish to conduct research. We have excellent contacts in the field of ELT and Applied Linguistics. We offer advice on any of the following:
- Conducting Action research – if you plan to conduct research in your class and would like to discuss how to best go about it then get in touch and we can offer a free consultation about how you might approach your project.
- Creating questionnaires – these need to be tested for statistical reliability, and creating questionnaires that actually ask in an effective way what they are designed to research has been the focus of many books. We can advise about how to avoid the pitfalls.
- Language Assessment Design – we can assist you in the creation of language tests which are reliable, valid, authentic and practical.
- Conducting evaluations of Language Tests – we have experience of statistically evaluating commercial language tests and can help with conducting t-tests and working out item difficulties for any language tests that you have developed. At present this is offered as a free service.
- Program Evaluation – using theoretical frameworks we can evaluate your Language Programs to ensure you are giving your learners the best education.
- Materials Evaluation – we can advise on how to improve any materials for language learning that you have created and give suggestions on how to improve them. We can also run materials development workshops if you have inexperienced developers. In addition to this we can train your developers on the creation of eLearning content.